parent site url

Jul 13, 2012 at 2:43 AM

Sorry if this has been covered before, and excuse my ignorance of List Views, but is there a quick OTB solution for displaying the Parent URL based on the Parent Site ID ?

I tried to do this by changing the view to group by Parent Site ID. This gives me ugly GUIDS. So I created a lookup column ParentURL based on the Site Listings list only to realise that Lookup columns retrieve the whole list, not a value based on a filter.

Have I missed something here ? I can do this in SPD but I'm sure it can be done OTB.

TIA,

Alexander Bunyip

Coordinator
Jul 18, 2012 at 11:34 AM

Hi, the parent site GUID was capture with the intention of providing an easy way to create your own navigational interfaces (tree views etc). You will need to code your own solution for this though I'm afraid .... the directory will give you the data, but you need to come up with the interface.

Jul 18, 2012 at 5:24 PM

Tnx for the reply, and Ok, I see that Parent Sit ID is meant as a hook, however its an 'old school' hook that ignores the patently obvious.

Site Directory potentially fills a HUGE omission by Microsoft, but is about one line of code away from achieving that. All it needs is to just include the human readable Parent Site URL which completely solves the whole tree view issue ? Nothing to do with interface here - its just recognizing that Site List is a tree structure and treating that data type properly and completely.

Just one line of code short of perfect. Its hard to understand why you wouldn't finish such a potentially great solution by not copying the human readable Site URL of the Parent Site ID into its own column. Its probably already there in memory when you write the Parent Site ID column. Even if you need to make a create a subroutine and call to fetch Site URL for the Parent Site ID, why wouldn't you ?

It just doesnt make sense. 

I'll setup the codeplex project and make the change myself if I have to, but cant one of the ppl already on this project just make this small tweak ??  

Alexander Bunyip

Jul 22, 2012 at 1:44 PM
Edited Aug 15, 2012 at 1:11 PM

Ok so this can be done with an OTB 1 line SP workflow. Details here. Set the WF to run for new items and changes. To load the Parent Site URL column, just view the list in Data Grid mode, put an X in the first cell then fill down to the end of the column. This triggers the WF to run on all items in the list.