This project is read-only.

Site URL Field showing friendly name

Feb 1, 2011 at 7:56 PM

Hello,

First I'd like to thank you for developing this solution. It's going to make our upgrade (in progress) to 2010 much friendlier to the end users.

I have a couple of questions/issues, both related to the Site URL field.

The first is that it's showing the "friendly name" rather than the URL. The friendly name is available from several other fields, so is there a way to display the URL value instead? That's how it appeared in our 2007 site directories.

On a related note, it was suggested to me by a consultant that we could use the Site URL field to do something we'd like to do so I'm trying to figure out if that's true.

In 2007, we had 13 site directories, each at the top of a site collection, each showing those sites below it. We'd like to duplicate this look as much as possible in the new world, though we understand it won't necessarily be exactly the same. I've been told that the way to do this is to create one site directory and devise 13 views of it, which makes sense. I'm not totally clear on how/if I can get views onto other site collections, but that's for another thread I guess.

Our site collections have names like ourcompany/it and ourcompany/finance, where all the sites below the first are "IT" sites and all the sites below the latter are "finance" sites. We need an IT site directory to show the IT sites and a Finance Site Directory to show the Finance sites.

It was suggested to us that we could use the first part of the URL to categorize our sites, either by some sort of sorting or grouping, or by generating a site column with a calculated value based on the URL. However I can't tell that I can get to the actual URL.

Any guidance on the possibility of accomplishing these tasks would be appreciated (without custom coding if possible). Thanks!

Feb 7, 2011 at 3:06 PM

No ideas? Am I the only one who needs to sort items rather than have a 30 page directory?

Any guidance anyone can give would be appreciated. Thanks.

Apr 21, 2011 at 1:29 PM

Hi,

My comments are inline .....

The first is that it's showing the "friendly name" rather than the URL. The friendly name is available from several other fields, so is there a way to display the URL value instead? That's how it appeared in our 2007 site directories.

MK: This is by design. However this is an interetsing request, please log it as an issue and i'll consider it for the next version.

On a related note, it was suggested to me by a consultant that we could use the Site URL field to do something we'd like to do so I'm trying to figure out if that's true.

In 2007, we had 13 site directories, each at the top of a site collection, each showing those sites below it. We'd like to duplicate this look as much as possible in the new world, though we understand it won't necessarily be exactly the same. I've been told that the way to do this is to create one site directory and devise 13 views of it, which makes sense. I'm not totally clear on how/if I can get views onto other site collections, but that's for another thread I guess.

Our site collections have names like ourcompany/it and ourcompany/finance, where all the sites below the first are "IT" sites and all the sites below the latter are "finance" sites. We need an IT site directory to show the IT sites and a Finance Site Directory to show the Finance sites.

It was suggested to us that we could use the first part of the URL to categorize our sites, either by some sort of sorting or grouping, or by generating a site column with a calculated value based on the URL. However I can't tell that I can get to the actual URL.

MK: The site listings (an list item for each site collection that is scanned) are in a standard custom list, so you can add views to this via the usual method. I would advocate doing this rather than creating 13 instances of the site directory (though this is technically possible). It would be possible to extend the list so it has a clasisfication field, but that would be a unique peice of code for your specific requirements i think. You coudl also use the out of te box tagging system to 'tag' the site listings with the various department names.

Any guidance on the possibility of accomplishing these tasks would be appreciated (without custom coding if possible). Thanks!

Apr 21, 2011 at 1:46 PM

Thanks for your responses Martin.

We ended up using the "Table of Contents Web Part" as we did not budget time for custom code during our upgrade. I'll keep your ideas in mind for the future. The tagging system sounds potentially useful.

Thanks again,

Shae