This project is read-only.

Error on accessing Configure the Site Directory site

Jun 24, 2010 at 12:57 PM
hi! I get an undescribed error on step 4.1: if i try to access "Configure the Site Directory site" i get forwarded to the login page, saying I do not have the appropriate rights. Any ideas? I am using SP 2010 RTM with FBA (sql) activated ... thx very much for your help marvin
Jun 24, 2010 at 1:05 PM
Hi, sorry to hear you are having troubles. Firlst did you complete step 9 in section 2 which involves ensuring that the solution is deployed to the central administration web application? If not please try that. If you did do these steps then it sounds like a security error, who are you logging in as when accessing these pages - is it the farm administrator? Do you get similar errors for any other central administration pages?
Jul 2, 2010 at 7:57 PM

I too am having the same issue... I verified that I am part of the Farm Administrators Group.  and I have verified that the solution has been deployed to the Central Administration web app.

I am not sure what else to do... any ideas?

Jul 4, 2010 at 8:30 AM

Can anyone who is having the problem please send me a copy of the ULS logs for teh time when you get the error, a screen shot of the error message you get and the exact date/time stamp when you received the message. I'll have a look into why this is hapenning.

Send as a ZIP to


Jul 5, 2010 at 6:54 PM

Strange... earlier this morning i still had access denied... but now I have access and "Supposedly" nothing has changed Security wise.   I am able to get in now?? but I don't know what has changed.

I will let you know if I find out more.   Let me know if you know why all of a sudden it started to work?  thanks :)

Jul 5, 2010 at 7:18 PM

Hmmm ok I got to the page where it allowed me to enter in the Site Directory 2010 site, but then i changed my web application to another web application and then i got the access denied error.

So it seems the web application i am trying to setup... I don't access to ... but that is strange because i am a farm admin.   I verified my IIS permissions and they look good.   ??

One web app works, and one does not.... however the one i do have access to is the one i created from scratch, the other web app someone else created,   Could that be the issue?


Aug 31, 2010 at 9:51 PM

Anybody figure this out yet? I am still having issues even using farm admin account, actually every account!

Sep 15, 2010 at 3:04 PM

Has anyone found a fix for this yet? I am testing this solution on 2 different farms and I am experiencing the same issue.  The only way I can get in to configure the Site Directory Site is to use the farm service account.

Sep 15, 2010 at 4:35 PM

Hi all..

When I installed the solution, I also got prompted for username and password. However, when I input de domain adminsitrator account and pass, the installation completed succesfully..


Anyway, I've found before in other installations of sharepoint, that sometimes even when I login as the domain administrator, i get rejected. I've always fixed this by disabling kerberos in the IIS application. In this case the SharePoint Central administration app. You could try that and if is doesn't work, just enable it again if you want.


Here is a page that explains the procedure from SharePoint:;en-us;871155&x=7&y=13

HowEver, I've always done it manually, buy finding the App ID in IIS, and the from command prompt running 

cscript adsutil.vbs set w3svc / <var>WebSite</var> raíz/NTAuthenticationProviders "NTLM" as explained in this site:;en-us;215383&x=8&y=9

but instead of "Negotiate, NTLM" I just put "NTLM"



Sep 15, 2010 at 4:54 PM

All of my web applications are already set to NTLM. However I did make an interesting discovery, I was finally able to get into the Site Directory Settings, and in the settings the web application was pointed to Central Administration, when I changed that to my SharePoint web application ( I started getting the access denied page.

Sep 30, 2010 at 3:42 PM
Edited Sep 30, 2010 at 3:48 PM

I had the same issue and viewed the support document referenced above. The document refers to older versions of SharePoint and IIS but basically suggests that you should switch off basic authentication on the central admin site in IIS.


For me the exact opposite was the fix! I checked Authentication on my central admin site in IIS7 and found that it was set to 'windows' only. I added 'basic' authentication and it immediately let me in.

However I then ran into the same issue as bshamster1 above....



Sep 30, 2010 at 3:50 PM

Ok an update..

I think the issue is covered quite well here

I changed from Domain Administrator (which is listed as a Farm Admin Account) to the main master Farm account (setup during install) and got access to everything smoothly..