This project is read-only.

Extensibility Points

Jun 1, 2010 at 2:56 PM


Thanks for the great work. Already a step up from 2007!

We would like to build on this by adding some of our domain specific data per site. What are the recommended extensibility points?

Looking at the source it would appear that I need to add a hash value in

public Hashtable GetSiteBeingScannedProperties(SPWeb siteDirectoryWeb, SPWeb webBeingScanned) (plus add the requisite field definitions).





Jun 1, 2010 at 3:37 PM


I'm glad you are finding the application usefull. I am just about to upload a new version so you may wish to wait for a few days ebfore starting any customistaions of your own.

To answer your question, it really depends on how you wish to populate the extra fields.

If they will be manually maintained via the UI, then you simply add them to the list, ensure they are in the same group as the other other fields and add them to the 'Site Listing' content type. The site data webpart will enumerate any fields in that group so you'll be good to go.

If you wish to populate the fields as part of the scan job, then you would need to update the 'Microsoft.MCSUK.SPSiteDirectory2010.ScanJobHelperMethods.GetSiteBeingScannedProperties' method to add your values to the hashtable withe the key representing teh fields internal (or static) name and the value being the value you wish to add to that field for each site lsiting. 

Martin Kearn

Jun 1, 2010 at 3:40 PM


Thanks. At the risk of hijacking my own thread, any word on what changes are in the new version? I see all proposed changes have the same number (1) of votes!



Jun 1, 2010 at 3:46 PM

The next version will address these areas:

Add Multi-lingual Support (with full translations for German, French and Japanese)

Install Issue v1.4 - no content returned

Improved Site Data Webpart Fields

Capture Parent Web GUID

and possibly Better Site Icon Options if time permits and it is a simple change.

These areas (apart from Better Site Icon Options) are all developed, I'm just testing them before i upload so you should see something in the next few days.

Martin Kearn

Jun 2, 2010 at 5:53 PM

FYI ... v0.5 is avaliable now

Jun 3, 2010 at 10:21 AM

Excellent-I look forward to trying the new version.

BTW Can I use WSP upgrade or should I retract/remove before deploying the new version?








Jun 3, 2010 at 10:26 AM

I'd advise that you completely remove the solution and delete the site directory site then treat v1.5 as a new install.

In theory you should be able to use upgrade but I've had issues in my testing with this.

make sure you follow the install guide as there are some new steps.

Jun 3, 2010 at 10:32 AM
OK, thanks for that. Mark