Installation issues

Apr 15, 2010 at 3:35 AM

The installation document is nice but IMHO you cannot follow it and successful install on a cleanly installed system.

Section 3 says to create a new site using the Blank site template. Section 4 says to configure the site directory in central admin.

If you use the Blank site template to create your site directory, section 4 fails as it doesn't recognize the site as valid and says "Specify a URL to a site that is using the site directory template." This in itself is impossible without customization because while the site directory template is there, it's hidden and the webtemps.xml file must be manually edited to expose the template in the UI. Also the Site Directory template is deprecated and disabled for a reason (otherwise why would MSFT hide it?).

So if the directory template is disabled and hidden, is this a viable solution on a go-forward basis? I think it's a great feature and most companies have a site directory to catalog all the sites. For whatever reason MSFT chose not to continue this model but why? Do they want to discourage it (if so, why is the Site Directory option still in CA?) or are they going to kill it off and break this feature because they prefer to offer some other kind of directory?

You might want to update your documentation to describe how to re-enabled the Site Directory template and direct people to do that.

Coordinator
Apr 16, 2010 at 10:39 AM

I am sorry that you have been having installation issues, I'm very keen that we iron this out so you can get on with using the solution.

Just to be clear, this solution in no way uses the out-of-the-box 'site directory' site definition. The whole point of the solution is that you do not have to use that.

The 'Site Directory site' used by this system can be any type of site template since all we do is activate a feature which in turns adds a list and content type to the site. In section 4, you simply need to choose the site you created in step 3 (from a blank site template) from the drop-down list. Please make sure that when you are going through section 4, you are using the correct 'Site Directory' section in central administration. You should be using Central Administration > General Application Settings > Site Directory 2010 > Configure the Site Directory site.

I will update the install guide to include screen shots ot make this clearer.

Thanks for the feedback, pease reply here if there are any other questions or it is unclear.

Martin Kearn (martin.kearn@microsoft.com)

Apr 16, 2010 at 1:53 PM

RTFM. Actually I didn't read the instructions and thought that setting up the site directory in CA was using the old Site Directory link. I didn't even see the new Site Directory 2010 option. The manual is fine if you just read it.

Coordinator
Apr 17, 2010 at 5:54 AM

OK, cool - I'm glad you got there in the end. I'm going to update the install guide with screen shots anyway so look out for that

May 14, 2010 at 11:41 AM

Installing ver1.4 went cleanly as documented, but no content in the listing.  Checked logs and found the following errors as:

05/13/2010 14:38:00.33 OWSTIMER.EXE (0x1108) 0x29D8SharePoint Foundation General b9y3 High Failed to open the file 'C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\14\Resources\Microsoft.MCSUK.SPSiteDirectory2010.MessageText.en-US.resx'. 52e4e786-e631-426d-a08d-524517b34bd2

and....

05/13/2010 14:38:00.33 OWSTIMER.EXE (0x1108) 0x29D8 SharePoint Foundation General b9y9 High Failed to read resource file "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\14\Resources\Microsoft.MCSUK.SPSiteDirectory2010.MessageText.en-US.resx" from feature id "(null)".52e4e786-e631-426d-a08d-524517b34bd2

and....

05/13/2010 14:38:00.33 OWSTIMER.EXE (0x1108) 0x29D8 SharePoint Foundation General 8e26 Medium Failed to open the language resource keyfile Microsoft.MCSUK.SPSiteDirectory2010.MessageText. 52e4e786-e631-426d-a08d-524517b34bd2

Corresponding with Martin, found an error in the installation that names the resource file incorrectly.  Updates to follow to correct this issue - watch for it.